Thread: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit showing up 8GB RAM instead of 16GB

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit showing up 8GB RAM instead of 16GB

Hey guys, this is my first post. So, Hi to everybody.

I had bought a new 8GB ram stick of Kingston. I have one 8GB old. I bought that before when I got the new system. I am trying to play a few high end games which are working quiet slow. So I added a one more ram stick on the system expecting to get better output.

I did not check the ram after adding it on the motherboard. Just today I ran cpuz and found that there is only 8GB ram. The other 8GB is not detected. I went inside BIOS and find the same thing. I want some help here to fix this problem.

Re: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit showing up 8GB RAM instead of 16GB

On 64bit system it is possible to use 16GB ram. There can be some other reason.

Turn off your pc first. Disconnect it from the power so that there would no static charge. Remove the ram and place it on any other slot and turn it on. If it works then fine. If not then remove your old ram and let the new one inside. And turn on.

If pc gives you any warning or beep then it means this product is damage. You have to replace it. And if the system boots then the ram is working well. This can be compatibility problem with two ram sticks.

Re: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit showing up 8GB RAM instead of 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I did not check the ram after adding it on the motherboard. Just today I ran cpuz and found that there is only 8GB ram. The other 8GB is not detected. I went inside BIOS and find the same thing. I want some help here to fix this problem.
    Before buying you have to verify the ram specification. There is different type of memory sticks. Like if you are using a 600 MHz ram with 1300 MHz then it is not going to work. Your system might restart with blue screen.

Also you have to see what the maximum MHz your motherboard support is. If it is limited and you are using a higher one then it will again fail. Just verify that first. You can try providing models of your both ram sticks and motherboard. So that I can give you more information about compatibility.