Thread: Is it necessary to have a switch on a small network?

Is it necessary to have a switch on a small network?

I have around 4 pc at my office. I had started a small business and there are 4 pc. I had configured LAN connection on the same. I am having a router which has around 4 ports on the backside. I want to know that should I connect the pc to the router port directly or connecting them to a switch is good. I had not yet bought the switch. Because I am bit confuse here. I do not really think a switch can help me much. I am going to use this 4 pc only and if there is any laptop then they can connect through wifi. Any suggestions from your side?

Re: Is it necessary to have a switch on a small network?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-India View Post
    I have around 4 pc at my office. I had started a small business and there are 4 pc. I had configured LAN connection on the same. I am having a router which has around 4 ports on the backside. I want to know that should I connect the pc to the router port directly or connecting them to a switch is good. I had not yet bought the switch. Because I am bit confuse here. I do not really think a switch can help me much. I am going to use this 4 pc only and if there is any laptop then they can connect through wifi. Any suggestions from your side?
    Switch setup can be good if in future you are planning to extend your network.

I am quite sure if your business increases you will have to add more pc and then you will need a bigger switch with multi-port connection. For that you have to add one. Buy a cheaper on from the market with different ports and then use it. The setup is not complicated. You have to configure a place where all things will be kept.

You can hook the switch, router and modem on that. Do not just go with the router. It will give you less output.

Re: Is it necessary to have a switch on a small network?

When you connect all the pc to the router then I thin your router will get hot really fast. And there will be issue with speed fluctuation... There is one thing you are missing. If you connect the pc to the router I am not sure you will be able to use the LAN connection properly.

You have to configure a high speed switch for internal LAN file transfer. Your setup will be incomplete without switch. Your setup will be a lot easier and you will also get a good amount of file transfer speed when there is a switch configured on the same.