Thread: Running Windows 8.1 Metro Apps in Desktop View

Running Windows 8.1 Metro Apps in Desktop View

When Windows 8 was launched it confused many users with its brand new UI, specially the Metro Apps. When I first got Windows 8 to use on my system I got confused due to missing start menu. I was having a habit to search my programs in start menu search bar. This is not replaced with charm bar. It is a bit complicated at start to figure what things are were and slowly I was able to use it easily.

Now the problem lies with making changes in the apps and the ui. Which is a bit complicated. There are some software in the market that promise to add a start menu on your desktop. What they do is add a launcher which has the link to launch program. And you can do that on your own. You don't really need to use any software. You can just place all your program launcher in a folder and hook it on the task bar as a toolbar. You get your own tiny start menu there.

There is some problem with the same. Through Metro UI when you open any app it will appear as full screen. You can hit the start menu key from keyboard to go back on the desktop. Now what if I can tell you that you can minimize those applications or even change the size. I was always annoyed before using Metro App. You cannot use it with other application. For example if you open Internet Explorer you can make it a small window and you can also open up some other applications around it. But in Metro App it cover the entire screen and this is a big issue with Surface tablets.

Today I am going to give you a very simple way through which you can simply resize the screen as per your need. This feature is not available in Windows by default. You have to use some third party applications for the same. We are going to use StarDock's ModernMix App here. This application has a way through which you can resize the screen of a metro app. and you can make a bit space on your desktop. This thing is not going to tweak any of your existing windows settings. You just have to add the application and it will do the job. So let's checkout the complete process.
    Follow us on Facebook | YouTube | Google+ | Twitter

Re: Running Windows 8.1 Metro Apps in Desktop View

Configuration Process:

• Download and install Modern Mix by StarDock. You will get a trail edition for the same. You can test this thing and if you think it is great you can buy.
    • So just download and install the trail edition in your system first. At the time of installation it will ask you for the license. You can select the free option and get a 30 day trail.
    • Once done an icon will come on your desktop and on the metro screen. Click on that to launch the same.
    • You have to provide your email address to register the same. Just enter the same and click to configure it.

• Once done you will get a Modern Mix setup screen from where you can select how you want to use the Metro apps. You can either configure the full screen mode which works by default or you can go ahead with window mode where you can adjust the screen size as per your need.
    Follow us on Facebook | YouTube | Google+ | Twitter

Personally i loved running Metro Apps in desktop view. If you also find it useful during the 30 days trial period, you can buy it for life time. It costs just $4.99, which comes approximately Rs. 300/- . Worth enough.

Really interesting guide. But what is more interesting that this is Windows 9. Recently there was a leaked build of Windows 9 showing amazing start menu and has built-in capability to run Metro Apps in Desktop view.