Thread: How can I restrict user from customizing Start Screen in Windows 8.1

How can I restrict user from customizing Start Screen in Windows 8.1

I am using Windows 8.1 for the first time. I am looking for some way through which I can simply restrict a user from customizing my home screen. I had seen people making so many changes and then I have to revert back things. I am in need of help through which I can simply stop people from modifying the screen. I can see a very few settings in the control panel. I want a bit help on this.

Is there a setting available through which we can stop people from making changes to the start screen?

Re: How can I restrict user from customizing Start Screen in Windows 8.1

There is no direct utility available. But you can do that through gpedit.msc. Through this you can block people for making changes to the start menu.

To do the same you need to launch gpedit.msc. Now go the user configuration panel on the left side and then click on the administrative template on the same. Once you are done with that you have to click on Start Menu. Then click on Task bar on the right side. From here you have to choose start menu and click on edit by right clicking on that. Tick on not configured.

Re: How can I restrict user from customizing Start Screen in Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Discusser View Post
    I am looking for some way through which I can simply restrict a user from customizing my home screen. I had seen people making so many changes and then I have to revert back things. I am in need of help through which I can simply stop people from modifying the screen. I can see a very few settings in the control panel. I want a bit help on this.
    This looks a bit complicated process. There is one more simple way of doing the same. What you can do is just create multiple user accounts in your system.

Just give your account a full admin access. This will help you to make changes but other will not. Keep the user accounts limited. Do not allow full permission to them to make changes. This will prevent them to do any changes.