Thread: Windows 8.1 explorer.exe - Application Error fix

Windows 8.1 explorer.exe - Application Error fix

I am new to Windows 8.1 and I am getting a error when I am trying sign-out from the home screen. The error is related to explorer.exe. Now the error appear on restarting or when I am trying to shutdown the system. It is a epxlorer.exe application error.

What does it means? I hope this is not some kind of virus problem in my system. The error appear multiple time on the screen. I cannot even logoff.

Re: Windows 8.1 explorer.exe - Application Error fix

It can be due to some application running in the background and unable to close or it crash while login, restart or on shutdown. You have to remove it to fix the issue. Go in Control Panel > Uninstall program. Check each and everything installed. Remove those which are not needed and then try back. Also go in msconfig > startup disable things which are not needed. This looks like some kind of theming app problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Steinbach View Post
    What does it means? I hope this is not some kind of virus problem in my system. The error appear multiple time on the screen. I cannot even logoff.
    I know this error. It is not easy to fix. Explorer.exe is the default file browser of Windows. It crashes due to virus issue, due to third party theming software and sometime due to damage system files.

Launch cmd and type sfc /scannow and hit enter. This will scan the system for damage system files. System restore is another best solution for this.

To remove this type of error using a third party windows error remover tool is the best option. Because of inappropriate manual method may harm your entire system.