Thread: How to install Applications on SD Card in Windows 8.1

How to install Applications on SD Card in Windows 8.1

I own a Dell tablet that has 16GB of internal storage. I had copied few videos on that and the internal space is almost over. Now I am going to buy a 32GB SD card for the tablet. Before that I want to know how can I simply install Metro apps on the same. I cannot find any option in the app to change the storage. I had tested this on a 4GB card. Still all programs goes in the memory card. Is there is any option to move or install the apps directly in the external storage so that we can keep internal memory free which will also boost the performance?

If yes, please let me know how. Many thanks.

Re: How to install Applications on SD Card in Windows 8.1

It is not possible. In Windows the default folder is the C partition. It is also called as Windows Partition. All program and apps are installed in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. This is the default location.

It is not possible to modify this location. You can try moving all your videos and other file in the SD card and use the internal storage for Windows apps only.

The problem here is that when you install a Metro App it does not ask you for the location compare to a regular software setup. It just installs and a icon appear on the desktop. Even if you try to move the WindowsApp folder you will get a error. The system will be unstable.

So better to stick with current setting and it is a good suggestion. You can use the sd card for keeping your other files.

Quote Originally Posted by W8 View Post
    Is there is any option to move or install the apps directly in the external storage so that we can keep internal memory free which will also boost the performance?
    It can be done through a registry tweak. But I do not guarantee you that it will work. Your system can be unstable or can cause problem. But still you can test.

• You can start registry editor by typing regedit in Start > Run box. In that go to
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Appx.
    • At the right side you can see a entry PackageRoot.
    • Right click on that and modify the location and then test by adding a few new apps.