Thread: Unable to install Win 8.1 "Getting Device ready"

Unable to install Win 8.1 "Getting Device ready"

I tried updating my Windows 8 to 8.1 for the 5th time since yesterday and every time it is getting stuck while "Getting Device Ready". Every time update process goes fine until the PC restarts and come to this stage. Also the progress bar is different every time, sometimes it gets stuck on 20%, sometime on 70% on getting device ready screen. And it restores my earlier Windows 8 system. I have no idea what to do. I tried searching web and found many people facing the same problem. Also tried some of their troubleshooting but none of them worked for me, unfortunately. Hope anyone here can help me to get rid of this annoying problem.

Re: Unable to install Win 8.1 "Getting Device ready"

You are correct, there were many users with the same problem and it was because of wrong LAN driver installed via Windows Update. Even i have been through this. So what you need to do is, remove your lan cord during installing windows 8. You can connect it later after installation is completed.

I too think you are right Rahul. As per the situation the installation goes fine until "Getting devices ready". So it is definitely because of some thing already installed like you said Lan Driver. It can also be because of temporary files, bluetooth devices or even because of installed security suites like Antivirus, Anti Malware,etc.

You should better disable all these before restarting the installation. And this time make sure to perform clean boot. You can read more about the same here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

The problem could also be because of insufficient system requirement. As MS said that 8.1 will work fine on PCs already running Win 8, but you are using Windows 7, hence I will suggest you to please check these requirements to run 8.1 comfortably. Though the requirements are not very high, but still need to check:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    Free hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    Graphics card: MicrosoftDirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver