Thread: Admin account missing in Windows 8

Admin account missing in Windows 8

This is really surprising for me. I have never seen a PC without Administrator account. I bought a Lenovo laptop with windows 8 just two weeks ago. Created an Admin account and a Standard account for my brother. Yesterday i night i did my work and went to sleep, everything was good until then. Today when i started the laptop, i found that there is NO Admin account. I can see only 1 account which is my brother's. Although the PC is working great but there is no Admin access to several programs and files.

Can anyone here please help me out with this?

Re: Admin account missing in Windows 8

i dont know how is it possible and what is the cause of this problem. But dont worry, there is a fix for this using which you can get a new Admin account but not sure whether you can recover your deleted Admin account. Here is what you need to do:

• Open Command Prompt by searching 'CMD' in the search box, right click and select Run as Administrator.
    • Now type the following commands one by one followed by Enter key:
    • net user administrator /active:yes
    • net user administrator <Password>

Now log off or restart the computer. You will find a new (built-in) Administator account. using the same create a new Administrator for yourself and you are done. To disable the built-in Admin, repeate the same process provided above and enter "/active:no"

Thank you very much for such a great help Tech-Master. That really worked. Now I have a new Administrator account on my PC.

Help appreciated.

Good to hear that it worked for you satchel. It may be coincidence that even I am with exactly the same situation, for the first time since Iím using Windows. It seems like the standard account which I have on my computer doesnít even have sufficient access to allow me using CMD as Admin. Iím not able to run Command Prompt and hence not those commands. How can I unhide the built-in Admin? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Paman View Post
    It seems like the standard account which I have on my computer doesnít even have sufficient access to allow me using CMD as Admin. Iím not able to run Command Prompt and hence not those commands. How can I unhide the built-in Admin? Please help.
    If you are not able to do the same from the standard account, you will need to do it using the recovery command prompt. Here is how to do the same.

• Start by entering the windows installation disk and boot from CD/DVD
    • Click on Repair > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options.
    • Now click Tool from the System Recovery Option and select Command Prompt.
    • Here you have complete access to run any command.
    • So type the commands written above (net user administrator /active:yes) and press Enter.
    • Reboot the computer and you will have your built-in Admin access.

Create a new user and turn of the hidden Admin again from your new Admin account by running command prompt.