Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: How can i restore my earlier backup to iPhone 5

How can i restore my earlier backup to iPhone 5

Earlier I was using iPhone 4 some time back and I have taken backup of it. After that I switched to Samsung Galaxy and now I bought the brand new iPhone 5 (awesome one). The big question for me is that can I restore my earlier backup to iPhone 5? The backup is not that important but still it would be helpful if I have it. I am sure that some techy guys from your side will help me.

•   Alt Ads!

TechDiscussion

Re: How can i restore my earlier backup to iPhone 5

I doubt if you can restore iPhone 4ís backup to iPhone 5 iPhone 4 was running with iOS 5 whereas iPhone 5 is with the new iOS 6. You cannot take backup of iPhone 4 from iOS 6 because it will give an error due to different iOS built. There might be some compatibility issues.

But still just for a try, you should try restoring it with iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heer View Post
    Earlier I was using iPhone 4 some time back and I have taken backup of it. After that I switched to Samsung Galaxy and now I bought the brand new iPhone 5 (awesome one). The big question for me is that can I restore my earlier backup to iPhone 5? The backup is not that important but still it would be helpful if I have it. I am sure that some techy guys from your side will help me.
    For restoring data from a backup, do one of the following methods after connecting your iOS device to the computer that will normally sync:

• Click the right mouse button (or Control-click) the device and choose Restore from Backup

• If you have a new phone and connect it to iTunes, it will ask you to restore from your backup.

If you are thinking of switching device, or just want to have a backup of all, you have to follow these steps to manually back up your iOS device with iTunes:

1. Connect your iOS device to a computer that has installed the latest version of iTunes.
    2. Select your iOS device in the Devices list in iTunes.
    3. Click the right mouse button (or Control-click) the device and select Copy.

Backups retain your iOS device settings, reels (or saved images) and other important data.

iTunes has a nasty habit of deleting the previous backup every time it does a backup. If you really have an old backup intact, there is a way to restore from it. I forget the procedure, but I'm sure you can google it.

It's a good idea to manually go into your backup directory and manually copy it over to a new name once in a while. That way iTunes won't touch it, and you can use it in an emergency such as yours to restore earlier backup to iPhone 5.