Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: How does Android Smart App update works

How does Android Smart App update works

I heard somewhere about Google's new service called something Smart App update launched specially for Android devices. Now as i have more 6 Android based gadgets, i would like to know what kind of update it is and how it works ?

Is it related to just applications or is something about software /firmware ? Please let me know.

•   Alt Ads!

TechDiscussion

Re: How does Android Smart App update works

Nope, it is not related to firmware or software update. Google Smart APP update is all about your installed applications and games on Android mobile's or tablet pcs. As yoiu already have so many Android devices, you should be aware that when you update any application and game on your mobile, it use to download the entire application again.

For example, if the application's original size is 10MB, when you try to update, it was downloading the entire 10MB (or whatever the updated app size was) again from the store. But now due to Smart App update service, it will not download the entire application but just the part it requires to update the applications. For example, it will only download 2.5 to 3MB data, that is actually required to update the app at latest version. It is really great.

Quote Originally Posted by satchel View Post
    I heard somewhere about Google's new service called something Smart App update launched specially for Android devices. Now as i have more 6 Android based gadgets, i would like to know what kind of update it is and how it works ?

Is it related to just applications or is something about software /firmware ? Please let me know.
    Smart App Update was launched by Google last month, around 16th August. This service helps Android users to prevent their unnecessary data and battery life. Smart App updates only consumes the required update parts and turn your application to the latest version, instead of downloading the new application again from scratch. This is one of the best strategy by Google for Android users.

You can understand the concept more clearly with the image below. You can see the colored part is the only data that will be downloaded under Smart App Updates to bring the application or game at latest version.

Wow, that is really good for me as i was using 3G and every time i update any application, my 3G data was getting waste unnecessarily. Thanks for the explanation guys. Keep it up. 8)