Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Is Microsoft Silverlight available for Android OS

Is Microsoft Silverlight available for Android OS

I got Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7300 few days ago. It has Android OS v3.0 (Honeycomb). While working around it I cam to know that am unable to download Microsoft Silverlight. As I wanted to Watch Movies & TV Shows Online; I need Netflix on my tablet.

So I need some help from you people. I donít have enough knowledge about the tablets and also I tried doing rooting for getting Silverlight installed but that too didnít helped.

•   Alt Ads!

TechDiscussion

Re: Is Microsoft Silverlight available for Android OS

Even I am having similar issue. At first I thought to watch movies with the help of Netflix on the phone. At that time I used dolphin browser on the desktop mode and then I was able to view the play screen, but later I got message from Netflix that it needed Silverlight. After that I downloaded executive file and then searched for an apk for Silverlight but was not succeeded.

Is there any other way, which can help me? I am having big question in my mind that is there a release of Silverlight for an Android OS?

I don’t think that Microsoft Silverlight is released for an Android. I came to know that according to Microsoft Silverlight is too big for Android, so there is no release till now. On the other hand, Netflix has declared that they're going to be coming out with an Android app shortly, since they released iPad and iPhone apps. So you will have to wait and watch.

If you want to watch Netflix, afaik it cannot be done without Silverlight. It is compulsory for the DRM that Netflix uses to avoid you from downloading movies (YouTube). The only exclusion is the devices which have Netflix support (like Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, etc.) which in turn have their individual strong DRM, and encrypt the stream.

Talking about the Netflix, it has already declared that some selective android smartphones will be able to access the Netflix streaming. It will run on some selective because the android platform does not have a mutual DRM solution, and Netflix's content sourceswant it in order to permit streaming media. Thought they have not announced that selected smartphones.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I came to know that according to Microsoft Silverlight is too big for Android, so there is no release till now.
    I don’t think this is true. Silverlight is one the leading programming languages in Windows Phone 7 and executes on proper comparable Android hardware just sufficient. Along with that Silverlight also supports Mac and Windows platform and compensates licenses for each copy downloaded since some commercial media codecs they're using during the runtime and executions. Only thing is that Silverlight doesn’t support Linux. For Linux support the Silverlight has downgraded to Novelthrough the Mono/Moonlight project, and they offer their particular codec substitutions to get around the licensing issues.