Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Windows 7 stopped showing taskbar history preview

Windows 7 stopped showing taskbar history preview

I upgraded one of my XP systems to Windows 7 about two weeks ago. It was working fine and is still working fine except one thing, its taskbar. Don’t know why it has started working weird. I am just unable to add any new shortcut to the taskbar. I dint installed any new software in this 2 weeks neither I made any changes to the system. Other than this all my recent data as well as shortcuts are disappeared.

As this is my first windows 7 system, am not aware of its settings or troubleshooting. Can any one of you help me out fixing this ?

Re: Windows 7 stopped showing taskbar history preview

As you are new, I must tell you that windows 7 is smart enough to fix many of its problem itself. It has a very strong troubleshooter. And in your case, you have to do the same. If it is any kind of theming issue, just run the Aero troubleshooter and see if it fixes. Follow these steps to do the same:

• First of all go to start and in the search box, type “AERO”.
    • Now click on the “Find and fix problems with transparency and other visual effects.”
    • You will see a new troubleshooting. Just click on the Advanced and this will help you to fix the problem automatically.
    • If it resolves the problem then you will get a clear window and you are done with the process.

In case, problem is not resolved then you can simply click on the detailed information and that will show you the report. Note that if you are using Windows 7 Home Basic, you wont get Aero in your system.

Am not sure but you should restarting your Explorer.exe. If you don’t know how to do this, simply right click on taskbar and select Task manager. Go to Processes tab. Now scroll and select “explorer.exe”. Right click the same and click on end process. This will close all windows explorer and taskbar disappears. Now click on the file and select “New Task”. Here type “explorer.exe” and press button. Now try adding shortcuts to your task bar and see if you succeed.

Well this has become a very common issue for Windows 7 as many users faced it already. They managed to fix in their own and various ways. Let me list some of them here, hope you will be able to solve yours with any of these:

Update BIOS: one more thing that can make problem is the outdated BIOS. Make sure that you are having the latest BIOS running. If not then you must update that to the latest as soon as possible. If you are having new computer then it cannot be problem for you but for the old computer, there is more possibility for this problem.

Update drivers: Many of the users found that this problem happens when they come back from the sleep mode. If this is the same case for you then it is very important to update the driver. There is more possibility that some of the hardware driver is not compatible with the windows 7 operating system and that is causing problem for you. So check and update all your system drivers to the latest versions and see if it makes any difference.

Have you enabled the jump list ? Jump list can be the cause as well for such problems. Just go through the steps given below to ensure the same:

• Go to the Start Menu tab from the “Taskbar and Start Menu properties” dialog box.
    • See for the option texted as “Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar” and uncheck that option and this will disable the Jump Lists feature.
    • Now click on Apply.
    • Now again check that box and enable this feature again.