Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Windows 7 unable to detect CD/DVD

Windows 7 unable to detect CD/DVD

I have installed Windows 7 on my computer and all the things are running well with that. Problem is that after installation of Windows 7, it is not able to detect blank disks. There is no problem when used with the CD previously written. Can you guess that what can be the reason for this problem? I know that my DVD drive is not having any fault because this was working well with my earlier operating system (Windows XP) and started with this problem only after the installation of the Windows 7 so there is surely something wrong with the OS. Either with my installation or may be some settings. I really canít guess that what the problem is. Can somebody over here guess a ny reason for this. If yes then please let me know that. I will be thankful for all the replies for this.

•   Alt Ads!

TechDiscussion

Windows 7 unable to detect CD/DVD

I think that you must try by updating the CD drive drivers from the device manager. In most of the cases, reason for the problem is the same and so I think that kit is the same for you as well. If it is not the problem with the driver and you are having all the drivers updated then you can try by using some other software to burn the disk. There are many of the software available to download like Nero, CDBurnerXP, GrabAndBurn, etc.

The best that I can recommend you is the Nero burning software. Well Nero was coming an excellent CD / DVD support and CD images creator. The previous versions of Nero are putting many options in that which was really worthless in my opinion. But with Windows 8, I am very satisfied and will recommend you for the same.

Re: Windows 7 unable to detect CD/DVD

I have one method to troubleshoot this problem. This is for the Windows vista but then also you will be able to make use of this with the windows 7. There is just one difference and that is the Upper Filters and Lower Filters given below are invalid registry entries. You must remove them once you are completed with the process. So here are the steps to do that.

• Just click on start and then click on All Programs.
    • Now click on the Accessories and select Run.
    • There, you will have to type in regedit and then click on OK. If that asks you for the administrator password otherwise for the confirmation then enter the admin password and click the allow button.
    • Now from the left pane, go to below registry
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    • From the right pane, just click on the UpperFilters. You might also find the UpperFilters.bak registry entry. If you get that then donít remove that entry. If you are not able to see the UpperFilters registry entry then you will have to take out the LowerFilters registry entry.
    • From the edit menu, select delete.
    • When you click on delete then it will ask you for the confirmation. Click yes to confirm the deletion.
    • From the right pane click the LowerFilters. Now, if you are not able to get the LowerFilters registry entry then this method will ot be helpful for you.
    • From the edit menu, click on the Delete button.
    • Now it will again ask you for the confirmation for deletion and click on yes to confirm.
    • Exit the registry Editor.
    • Reboot your computer and you are done.

I think that uninstalling and reinstalling the cd-dvd drive will solve the problem for you. If not, try it out. To do this, here is the method:

• Click on the start and select control panel.
    • Click on the System and Maintenance and select System and then Device Manager. If you are having the classic view for the Control Panel then you will have to double click on the System and then click the Device Manager.
    • This might ask you for the admin password for the confirmation. So provide the same and click on allow button.
    • Now you are into the device manager. Just expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives and then right click on the CD and DVD devices and click on the un-install option.
    • This might ask you for the confirmation, if it does then click on OK and it will be uninstalled from your computer.
    • Now for the re-installation, you will not have to do anything. Just restart the computer and driver will be reinstalled again automatically.

Have you installed some of the software/hardware in your computer? I am asking this because this might be reason for this problem. So you can just undo that change and restart the computer. See if this can solve the problem for you. I know that there are very less chances for this but still there is possibility for this and it is worth to give it a try. Other than this ensuring the driver is updated is also useful for you. Make the update from the manufacturer site only. I hope that you will be out of this problem soon.