Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: How to play .mkv and .avi videos on iPads

How to play .mkv and .avi videos on iPads

I wish if Apple could have made default player to play AVI and MKV files on iPads. Whenever I tried to play some videos with the said file formats, I got error saying it wont play the files or either it won’t sync with my iPad. But as well know most of the file we download now days from web use to be in mkvs or avis. But I have some great movies and want to take it with my iPad as ma going out for some days. That’s the only solution to get rid of my boredom. So, is there any way playing videos in these format OR any kind of 3rd party app that can help me out?

•   Alt Ads!

TechDiscussion

Re: How to play .mkv and .avi videos on iPads

There is no way to play AVI or MKV with iPad’s default player. You need to convert those videos in .mpg or .mov format and play. For conversion, there are many 100s of converter available on the web, you can use any one of them. Process is also fast, it wont time too much for converting videos. The best of these I can suggest you is the Bigasoft Video Converter, that even I use. Its good, fast and convert the videos without damaging their quality.

Thats true that iPad's default media player cannot play avi or mkv files like many other devices, hence you need a 3rd party application or you need to convert videos before transferring them to your iPads. And as per the third party app, the best i will recommend you is AVPlayerHD. It will play multiple videos in formats such as AVI, Xvid, WMV, etcc without any problem. You can download AVPlayerHD from here.

But remember that you can not move MKV OR AVI videos to your iPad by syncing them via iTunes. You need to copy those videos in any USB drive and later it copy it to your iPad by connecting USB directly to your iPad. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by logitech View Post
    Thats true that iPad's default media player cannot play avi or mkv files like many other devices, hence you need a 3rd party application or you need to convert videos before transferring them to your iPads. And as per the third party app, the best i will recommend you is AVPlayerHD. It will play multiple videos in formats such as AVI, Xvid, WMV, etcc without any problem. You can download AVPlayerHD from here.

But remember that you can not move MKV OR AVI videos to your iPad by syncing them via iTunes. You need to copy those videos in any USB drive and later it copy it to your iPad by connecting USB directly to your iPad. 8)
    Thats great dude, i really appreciate your suggestion. this is exactly what i was looking for. And thanks again for the download link as well. Keep it up. ;D

There is one more cool application for the same, called "Air Video". It is capable to play 720p videos in mkv, avi or DivX formats. The best of this app is that you can watch/play video Over the Air with out syncing them to your device. Isn't that cool ? 8)

iPhone, iPad, iPod and other iOS devices as well as Mac-based programs and software well supports MOV and MP4. That is to say if you want to play .mkv and .avi videos on iPad, you need to change .mkv and .avi to .mov or .mp4. To do the conversion, you can turn to Video Converter software.