Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Unable to install HTC One X OTA Update v1.28.401.9

Unable to install HTC One X OTA Update v1.28.401.9

Hi, I am using HTC One X since a month now. I heard the news about the new update available for this model. Now as mentioned in the news that it fixes problems like overheating and battery life, it was a great news for me as am too facing these problems with my handset.

I decided to go for the same, connected my mobile with WiFI, and started the download process. Downloading went comfortably, but it is not able to install in my mobile. I tried it many times but yet the same problem. I just cannot install it.

The one reason that is coming to my mind is its Rooted Device. Is there something like we cannot install OTA update on device that are Rooted? Please help.

Re: Unable to install HTC One X OTA Update v1.28.401.9

No, I don’t think so. People are still able to get all kinds of update on their rooted smartphone, infact rooting increase the limitation for all these things. Only the problem of rooting is it avoids warranty, that’s it. You should still get all updates in your device.

Anyways, as you said it downloads but wont get installed. There might be some kind of error appearing on the screen. If yes, can you post that error here.

Quote Originally Posted by The User View Post
    No, I don’t think so. People are still able to get all kinds of update on their rooted smartphone, infact rooting increase the limitation for all these things. Only the problem of rooting is it avoids warranty, that’s it. You should still get all updates in your device.

Anyways, as you said it downloads but wont get installed. There might be some kind of error appearing on the screen. If yes, can you post that error here.
    Thanks for the reply mate. Yes, I get a error while installation starts saying something like E: Unknown volume for path, Can't mount INTERNAL SDCARD Download. E: signature verification failed. Installation aborted”

I dint understood what is this. Do you guys have any idea about the same ?

It seems some problem with the SD card. I guess the update gets download in the SD card and while installation, device is not able to get the SD Card path or it is not able to mount it. Though am not sure about this, but I can suggest you to first backup your entire device, remove your SD Card, again download the OTA Update and see if it installs this time. If you get the same error again, reply back here.

I assumed that it was because the regular bootloader had a different way of verifying signatures of updates while rooted. I also assumed that ClockworkMod ignored those signatures since most community updates don't bother with them.

So I tried to install the update via ClockworkMod recovery, and succeeded. Try it at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Innis View Post
    I decided to go for the same, connected my mobile with WiFI, and started the download process. Downloading went comfortably, but it is not able to install in my mobile. I tried it many times but yet the same problem. I just cannot install it.
    Did you got it installed any how ? If not, try following these steps:
    • Download the firmware on your PC, save it on Desktop.
    • Connect your One X via cable, copy the firmware on your SD card and disconnect the cable and turn off the device.
    • Now boot it in Bootloader mode with the help of key combinations, thjose are Volume up + Ok Key + Power key.
    • Go to Recovery mode and browser where you have copied the firmware on your SD Card. Select it by pressing the power key.
    • now just wait for few minutes and let the update get done.

Thats it.