Thread: Linksys E4200: Internet gets low after enabling QoS and WMM

Linksys E4200: Internet gets low after enabling QoS and WMM

Recently I have bought the Linksys E4200 router. I have found that while setting the QoS enabled which is supposed to level the network traffic but my internet slows down. For example when downloading any large file (lets say about 200 Mb) with QoS enabled, it use to take around 4 to 5 hours to complete, whereas same gets complete in 8 to 10 minutes if QoS is disabled. Another example I can say is streaming online videos. I just canít stream online videos including YouTube. It always remain buffering unless I disable QoS WMM setting.

Re: Linksys E4200: Internet gets low after enabling QoS and WMM

I have a Linksys 3200 router and I have enable the option for the QoS. Everything works fine if you are finding it difficult then you can set it disabled. If you need speed that you are getting keeping it disabled, than better keep it disabled. To be honest with you I have never found these QoS service beneficial and I too keep it disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by newway01 View Post
    I have a Linksys 3200 router and I have enable the option for the QoS. Everything works fine if you are finding it difficult then you can set it disabled. If you need speed that you are getting keeping it disabled, than better keep it disabled. To be honest with you I have never found these QoS service beneficial and I too keep it disabled.
    You are correct. But the thing is that you better keep the QoS WMM support enabled because it keeps the link rates higher than 54mbps on Wifi network. But for these you don’t need to enable all the feature of QoS. I am talking about max upload rate, priorities etc. I have disabled certain feature in my router like the priority and now the download speed is good compared when I was using the QoS service. If you still find the speed less then you can disable the QoS setting.

I even noticed the same recently. Whenever I disabled WMM my download speed goes upto 20 MBPS, and it gets lower upto 1MPS after enabling. Later I just enabled WMM leaving the prioritization disabled. I even turned off my smart tv and PS3 and tried downloading something with my Android smart phone on Wifi connection but it was not ablw to download. Is there any setting for resolving this issue ?

Check if you have an 802.11n card adapter in your system. You can install the WPA2-AES as the related speed mode. These are the thing I have noticed in other security mode that speed seems to be capped. The performance of the overall network will be hampering once you have the G device. Also try setting some different channel as the router uses the default channel. According to me channels 1, 3, 6, 9 give the best performance.