Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Microsoft Announces the Death of Windows XP and Office 2003 on April 8th 2014

Microsoft Announces the Death of Windows XP and Office 2003 on April 8th 2014

Yesterday Microsoft announces the death of the longest running operating system, Windows XP. They just kicked off a stuff called as a "two-year countdown" that ends on April 8th 2014 for both Windows XP and Office 2003. Question is why Microsoft doing this? In reply, they answered “You are late, if your organization has not started the migration to a modern PC.” Microsoft wants its 100 million Windows XP and Office 2003 users to upgrade their PCs to Windows 7 and Office 2010.

At the end of this so called "two-year countdown", There will be no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates for both of these great products. According to Stella Chernyak, a Microsoft marketing director, “Windows XP and Office 2003 were great software releases for their time, but the technology environment has shifted”. As we all know Windows Xp was launched somewhere in October 2001 and Office 2003 was launched after 2 year, in October 2003. According to this Windows XP will have maintained the OS for 12 years and 5 months at 8th April 2014. It will be also 1year longer than the Microsoft’s previous record holder, Windows NT that ruled for about 11 years and 5 months.

According to Microsoft’s Blog, they say “If you haven’t yet already, we do hope that you take this end of support countdown as an opportunity to migrate your PCs to Windows 7 and Office 2010 so that your business and employees are more productive and secure. Below are some tools and resources we offer to help you with your migration. Additionally, in the coming months both my team and the Office team will be posting tips on deployment guidance so you can get the most out your new software.”

So basically there is no other option to upgrade to Windows 7 and Office 2010. To help upgrading to these products Microsoft has recommended ‘Microsoft Deployment Toolkit’ that include Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring (MBAM) to simplify BitLocker Drive Encryption provisioning and provides compliance reporting that can help you quickly determine the status of the entire organization.

Re: Microsoft Announces the Death of Windows XP and Office 2003 on April 8th 2014

Damn, that is such a bad news. Even after the launch of Windows 8, i still have 3 PCs at my home running on Windows XP, 1 on Windows 7 and 1 on Windows 8 Consumer Preview. But the PC i work is still running on Windows XP. It was the best operating system for me.

Anyways, as you said Microsoft is just gonna stop the support for windows XP, what kind of support is it going to stop ? Can you please explain me in details ??

Re: Microsoft Announces the Death of Windows XP and Office 2003 on April 8th 2014

According to Microsoft, they will stop all kind of windows updates including security, hotfixes, etccc from April 2014 for both Xp and Office 2003. Just check what exactly Microsoft says on this:

Running Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 in your environment after their end of support date may expose your company to potential risks, such as:

• Security & Compliance Risks — Unsupported and unpatched environments are vulnerable to security risks. This may result in an officially recognized control failure by an internal or external audit body, leading to suspension of certifications, and/or public notification of the organization’s inability to maintain its systems and customer information.
    • Lack of Independent Software Vendor (ISV) & Hardware Manufacturers support — A recent industry report from Gartner Research suggests "many independent software vendors (ISVs) are unlikely to support new versions of applications on Windows XP in 2011; in 2012, it will become common." And it may stifle access to hardware innovation: Gartner Research further notes that in 2012, most PC hardware manufacturers will stop supporting Windows XP on the majority of their new PC models. See Creating a Timeline for Deploying Windows 7 and Eliminating Windows XP SP3, June 2011.