Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Administrator Account restricted on Windows Server 2003

Administrator Account restricted on Windows Server 2003

Hey friends, need urgent help from you guys. Just few hours ago, I have been promoted to handle the server of my department that is Windows Server 2003. I never have been on server before. As a newbie while trying to do something better I made some changes in the group policy and edited few stuffs for example disabling the run command to restrict users from some access. But, I donít know why, even my administrator account is restricted now as well. Now am just unable to run gpedit.msc so that I can make my account normal. Please help me. I donít know what to do now to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Re: Administrator Account restricted on Windows Server 2003

Well, even am no pro in Server stuffs but yet want to give some suggestions. I think you should check out with Directory Services restore mode. You may be able to do something from there. Check out this Microsoft Article about doing the same. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc779687.aspx

Usually its not possible for an ordinary Admin to restrict domain administrator, but as you are saying it happened, there is some way to restore the ATIVE DIRECTORY to the certain point before any changes was made to your system. But make sure if you have backups and you should know the active Directory restore password.

FYI, you should never use Domain admin account ever to make any changes on the server. Instead create and use another administrator account to do these stuffs. Anyways, I give you the steps to restore the AD but ensure that you have backed up the system. Once done, follow these steps:

• Restart the server and keep tapping F8 to bringup the boot options menu.
    • Here select Ďactive directory restore modeí and press Enter.
    • Once the system boot up, log on to (Restore Mode password). This is the local Admin account that only exists in restore memory.
    • Finally , restore the system state.

Hey thanks for your prompt help guys. I really appreciate it. But as I told you before also, it is the very first time am working on Server. I donít have any idea how can I restore Active Directory to restore point. Could guys please help for the same as well? Thanks again.