There have been may low cost tablets release in past couple of months like iBerry, WishTel, Akaash, etc.. In comparison of that, an Indian Company, HCL Infosystems also launched two low cost tablet PCs named as ‘HCL ME U1’ and ‘HCL MyEdu Tab’. These both tablets are based on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and are made for educational variants. The price is also set similar to other low cost ICS tablets like Micromax P-300 ICS tablet and the Zync Z-990.

HCL Infosystems EVP & Head, Mr Gautam Advani said, "The tablet market in India is growing at a rapid pace and the device is fast enriching consumer's lives by finding unique usages from a learning companion to a productivity enhancer."

HCL ME U1: As per the specs, ME U1 runs on the latest Android Ice Cream Sandwich and is packed with 17 local inbuilt apps. In addition, it has a 7 inch 800X480 pixel screen and a 1Ghz processor, and a front camera. It also contains 512 MB RAM, and 4GB internal memory that can be expanded upto 32GB. We can also put Micro SDCard in HCL ME U1 and there is also a mini USB port. People can browse internet with the high speed Wi-fi connectivity. HCL ME U1 tablet costs just 7,999 INR.

HCL MyEdu: Features are kept almost similar with this model but is meant provide help to schools and higher education students. The MyEduTab also offers free educational applications and NCERT books. In addition, it also provides integrated back up service with HCL Touch, a 24X7 one touch service facility. The price set for this device is 9, 999.

The bad news with these Tabs is that there is no access for Android Market or the latest Google Play Store. Instead of these, HCL has given access to its own Store know as HCL SlideMe Appstore. These tabs will also features access to HCL cloud storage service know as called HCL Touch.

Both HCL ME U1 and HCL MyEdu Tabs will be available across the cities and educational institutes in Delhi from mid April 2012.