Thread: How to disable automatic chrome updates

How to disable automatic chrome updates

I am using the latest version of Chrome Browser on my Windows 7 system. It is my default web browser. I have done many useful settings in the same which are helpful for my browsing style. But here is a huge problem.

As we know Google keeps rolling out updates for its softwares every now and then, my Chrome browser keeps updating which in result removes all my settings because they keep creating new features or changing the older style in every updates.

So, i wanted to know if there is any method using which i can turn off Automatic updates, just like we do in Firefox or Opera? If yes, please let me know soon. Thanks.

Re: How to disable automatic chrome updates

Google Chrome is a very popular web browser which is used by many users across the globe. Yes, you are correct at saying Chrome gets upadted every now and then. So here is the solution to stop updating the Chrome browser.

• You need to download Google Update Administrative Template first which controls the every bit and feature of your Google installed programs. It is just 257KB in size and can be download from here.
    • Once downloaded on desktop, press WIN+R key to open up RUN Box
    • Type gpedit.msc in the windows run.
    • Under User Configuration, go to Administrative Template. Make a right click over it and select Add/Remove Templates.
    • Click the Add button. Then windows explorer dialog box will come and then open GoogleUpdate.adm.
    • "Google"a new entry will be made at Local Group Policy Editor. Go to Computer Configuration and then Administrative Templates.
    • You need to click on the Google entry. Then Google go to Google Update and then to Applications.
    • Look for Google Chrome and open it there. Now you can see Update Policy Override in Google Chrome entry.
    • Right click on it and click on properties. Select Disabled radio button and click apply. And you are Done!

You have completely disabled the automatic updates on Google Chrome.

Automatic chrome updates also create issues for low cost pc users as they dont have enough ram and their cpu is also not that powerful. So, it is better to disable them.

kunalmothe

Hello,
    Auto updation is the thing which is mostly based on antivirus; I am using NPAV in that I have option for enable and disable any automatic update. I guess in your Antivirus this option might be you have.