Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: How to put Power Button on Windows 8.1 Start screen

How to put Power Button on Windows 8.1 Start screen

Windows 8.1 is amazing for use. But I want a bit help to add power button on the start screen. So that I can instantly shutdown my pc whenever I want. Somewhere on the top side. Right now it is on the right menu. There is no start menu in windows due to which you cannot get that simple shutdown option.

Is there a way to add a power button? Like some kind of tweak or a third party dock that can be used to put the most necessary shortcuts. Thanks for all your helps.

Re: How to put Power Button on Windows 8.1 Start screen

Yes, it is possible. You can do that but for that you have to make changes in windows registry. The power button is available on the top side, but as the settings are disabled you are unable to see the same. And you can add it back again.

For that you have to go in run box and type regedit. Hit enter. Now navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\ImmersiveShell\Launcher
    In that you have to locate the value Launcher_ShowPowerButtonOnStartScreen and right click on the same. Click on modify. Set the DWORD to 1 to see the button.

That's it. You are done. Reboot the system and you should see the Power button on Start screen, just next to your account picture.

Re: How to put Power Button on Windows 8.1 Start screen

The method provided above is correct but there is also an another way to instantly shutdown your pc. You can use a bat file which has all respective commands. When you run that bat file your pc shutdown.

Just open a note pad file and then simply type c:\windows\system32\shutdown -s -f -t 00 on the same. Save file as turnoff.bat or shutdown.bat.

When you want to shut down your pc just double click on the file and it will turn off the pc automatically. In the above command in place of 00 you can add seconds if you want to delay shutdown.