Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Can deleting Hiberfil.sys in Windows 8 free up disk space?

Can deleting Hiberfil.sys in Windows 8 free up disk space?

Hiberfil.sys is taking too much space in my hard drive. I am getting low disc space error. I want a bit help to remove this file and speed my pc also. I had tried the same to do a number of time but it is not working. How to delete this file and is it safe to remove it. The file extension is .sys that means it is a system file. I hope my system will not crash if I delete. In my pc this file is more than 5GB in size. I want to delete it. Will it be safe and helpful ?

•   Alt Ads!

TechDiscussion

Re: Can deleting Hiberfil.sys in Windows 8 free up disk space?

Yes, It is safe to delete that file. You can remove it manually also and through disk cleanup. You can start with disk cleanup which is the easiest and fastest process.

For that just launch this program and there you can tick on the files you want to remove. Add tick on all the things and click on Delete. Then just reboot your pc. That will be fine. You can also go in Windows partition under system32 folder and remove the file.

Re: Can deleting Hiberfil.sys in Windows 8 free up disk space?

Quote Originally Posted by LocalGuy View Post
    Hiberfil.sys is taking too much space in my hard drive. I am getting low disc space error. I want a bit help to remove this file and speed my pc also. I had tried the same to do a number of time but it is not working. How to delete this file and is it safe to remove it. The file extension is .sys that means it is a system file. I hope my system will not crash if I delete. In my pc this file is more than 5GB in size. I want to delete it. Will it be safe and helpful ?
    If you use Disk Cleanup or if you delete the file manually it will be recreated.

You have to turn off the feature to stop it. You can do that through cmd and this process works for all version of windows. For that just launch cmd and check that you launch that in admin account. Then type powercfg -h off and hit enter.

This will turn off the hibernation thing. The file will be deleted automatically and if you want to it back then powercfg -h on in cmd.