Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Motorola Moto X Review

Motorola Moto X Review

Motorola Moto X is the second model that is released directly after budget and most successful smartphone from Motorola, Moto G. It fails in high end product line at a price tag of Rs.24000. You can buy that from Flipkart with some exclusive discounts. Flipkart has started offers on its mobile app. So if you have any plans to buy this phone use the mobile applications. Motorola X has proved that you can get all high end features at a budget price. This phone gives you many amazing benefits for which you might pay double when it comes to other brand.

Packed with Quad Core performance this phone is capable of giving you gaming and multimedia benefits in HD. It is amazing to use this phone. No lag, no freezing. Use as many apps you want. It is well optimized to give extreme performance. Until now this Smartphone is unbeatable by various costly phone in the market. I do not think there is any other model in the market that gives you such a good config at this unbelievable price.

Now the question is does Moto X is the best phone when it comes to a price range of Rs.20,000 to Rs.25,000. There are other models also. Like iPhone 4, Galaxy S4 Mini, Elife E7, HTC Desire 700, etc. We will check that out in more detail but first lets have a quick look at Moto X highlights:

• Android 4.4 KitKat Operating Syatem
    • 4.7 inch edge-to-edge AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass protection
    • 1280 x 720 pixels resolution
    • 1.7 GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor
    • 2GB of RAM
    • Adreno 320 GPU
    • 1 Megapixel rear camera with LED flash
    • 2 Megapixel front-facing camera
    • 1080p HD video recording at 30fps
    • 16GB internal memory, no expandable memory slot
    • 3G, WiFi 802.11a/g/b/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, GPS, GLONASS
    • 2200 mAh battery

Design and Packaging:

For every Smartphone it is very important that it must have impressive look. You are paying to get something better. And when a model carries thin plastic body material, the user is not happy. I had seen this done by many brands who sell their device at high cost but when it comes to build material it is cheap. In Motorola X you can find things more simple. This device feature a unibody. That means the battery is locked. You cannot remove it. This add a bit of durability because a single body enclosure is used.

This phone has a classy look. It does not look cheap from any angle. The phone has the perfect size to hold it in your hand. If you had used Nexus 4 then you can simply figure out similarity in the design. But the size is difference. Moto Xi s bigger than that. I am really impressed with the design here. From side it looks glossy with rubberized surface used on the flaps. It contributes very little to your grip. Moto X has curved edges. That fits well in your mobile without stucking with anything.

All ports and buttons are well placed. The device has a nano sim tray. You have to use Nano Sim on that. The back is fixed. You cannot remove it and the battery is locked inside. You can use the sim tray on side to insert your sim and if you are using a full size on you have to cut it. If you want your phone to get less dirty get the black color. Right now it is available in three color. White, Blue and two more colors with wood finish. The price differ as the design.
    Follow us on Facebook | YouTube | Google+ | Twitter

•   Alt Ads!

TechDiscussion

Re: Motorola Moto X Review

What Moto X offers:

This device give you a 4.7inc screen. It is a Amoled HD display that offers a maximum 312ppi. That is b it low when we compare the screen with some similar models that fall in the same price range. But it is acceptable due to the internal configuration that still remain unbeatable. The screen is very smooth. Motorola X use a technology called as Active Display.

This makes visibility far more better. You don't really have to mess with the light settings. Light sensor here automatically manage the visibility. It is able to find your surrounding condition and adjust the brightness automatically. Notification panel paper when you swipe from the left or right instead of from top side. You can get all details here of ongoing things. Google brought up many surprises in this device. Like Touchless Controls. This is the next level of using a touchscreen. Touchless Control help you to control your phone with your voice.

You can say Ok Google Now to wake up the phone. And this really works nice on all accent. Even if you are in a crowed area the phone will be able to recognize your voice. This is handy when you instantly want to check out some things without touching the touchscreen. The voice control is managed by a dedicated chip in the device which makes it more accurate. This technology is only for the home screen. I hope this would come for all apps and settings in future.

Another app Motorola Connect is also very helpful when you have to manage your messages. You can send a message or you can call instantly from your pc using Chrome on that. You just have to sync the phone and done. It is good when you are in office or at home and do not want to pick your phone. You can use Chrome on your desktop to control the calls and messages. You have to sync the phone with your pc for that.

Hardware Configuration:

Moto X comes with Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC. This gives you a Krait 200 processor with power of 1.7Ghz each. The MSM8960T chipset further has dual processor support and each of them is clocked at 1.7Ghz. Dual cpu is able to manage your apps quiet easily and does not lag on multitasking. For graphics the phone is powered by Adreno 320 and 2GB RAM.

I think this is more than enough. You can play almost all hd games on that. 2GB ram is capable of giving you a very fast responsive phone. Tap on any app and it startup instantly. You can minimize and re-launch your game which is active in the background. performance is not a issue in this device. The device comes with the latest 4.4.2 KitKat OS and I am sure that the coming update of Android will be provided on this through OTA.

Multimedia and Gaming:

Moto X comes with stock ROM. That means with the most default and basic OS. This is a bit shocking that Google still does not use a optimized UI and ROM like other brands do. This just give a signature look to the phone. Right now if you are not familiar with Kikat then here are few things you need to know. The stock video and audio player is capable of playing wide range of multimedia files. I had tested avi files on it which works really great. There is no need to rely on any third party audio player.

For storage it has 16GB internal. You can get a 32GB variant also. From 16GB around 12BG is for the users. This is enough to store file. Even full 8GB storage is more than enough if you carry a few HD videos and lots of music. Most of the time the space will be occupied by hd games who has cache folder of more than 1GB. Audio level is amazing. Sound quality is really good on speaker and not he headphone.

Connectivity:

Moto X comes with all basic connectivity options. For network you can use a 3G or 2G sim on that. Other connectivity options you will get is Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, GPS, Miracast, usb, etc. You have ample of connectivity options here. You put only a single Nano SIM in that. That is the limitation here.

Many high end phone comes with two sim and this one only has one slot. Nano sim is bit smaller compared to Macro Sim. If you are cutting your sim then just take care that you are doing it properly. Moto X does not has any limitation when it comes to connectivity. You have different option to sync your pone with your pc or other mobile. And you can also use various connectivity applications from Google Play.

Camera and Photography:

Moto X offer you dual camera. The primary camera is 10MP which comes with LED flash. And the second one is 2MP that sites on the screen. The camera is good but not great. I think Sony and Samsung are the only two brands who can surprise you with their camera quality. But for Moto X there is more way to go.

The camera works well when you are in the sunlight. That means your surround must have maximum lights. You will get clear and crisp pictures. But if you are light then the image processor cannot fix it. Images are quiet nice but not really great. It is not a serious camera phone. The camera app is simple. It has all stock features only. You can use the primary camera to record a full 1080p videos. But make sure that there is enough space left in the phone. HD recording eat up the storage very fast.

Battery Life:

Moto X comes packed with a standard 2200mAH battery. Being a high end phone battery above 200mAH is must. Anything lower than that will be pain. Because you have to charge your phone after every 4 to 6 hours. Moto X gives you a nice 8-hours of battery output. You can make calls, listen songs, or simple surf YouTube. The battery remains nice tilt he end.

I had used this phone for entire day. This include around 2 hours of calling, 30 minutes of video playback and 1 hour video streaming. Still more than 30% of battery was left. To optimize the batter you must disable apps which are not needed or just remove them. I am quite sure if you are not putting much pressure then you can use this phone nicely for the entire day without any problem.

Conclusion:

Moto X is a good choice for those who need a phone that has a composite features of gaming and multi-tasking. At a price of Rs.23,999, this phone is not costly. Sturdy look gives you a durable feeling while the internal hardware is good enough to run all type of games and applications with blazing speed. My experience on this phone was satisfying. At first I thought I would be buying a costly phone because I have a few other models in my mind, but after using this I am sure you will find it a value for money product.

The phone has a few unique apps which are Kitkat features that will make it more useful. The camera here lacks good image output when you are in low light. That thing is quiet acceptable. You have 16GB of storage for storing all your files and 2200mAH battery is a plus point. 1.7 GHz Dual Core Krait CPU + 2GB RAM + Adreno 330 GPU will save a lot of money compared to other Quad core phones in the market. We are just paying half amount compared to those.

Pros:

• Better and Premium build quality
    • Active display
    • Smooth performance with high processing power
    • Useful software enhancements
    • Very good battery Backup

Cons:

• No external memory slot
    • Non removable rear panel
    • Weak camera

Finally India has got the Bamboo back variant of Moto X. Earlier when Flipkart launched Moto X in India, they were offering it with just the normal rear panel, which was later followed by Walnut and Teak wood back variants and Now, the Bamboo back variant. I have already order one for me. If you too were waiting for the same, get it right away from Flipkart at Rs. 24,999/- with discounted Rs. 1,000 for limited period.