Thread: Wifi always limited on Windows 8.1

Wifi always limited on Windows 8.1

I am having a Dell laptop which was running grate with Windows 8. I never had any problem in its connectivity until 2 daya ago when i upgraded to 8.1. I am having a D-link wireless router which is already running few devices on wifi. But when i connect my laptop with 8.1 Pro edition, I am always getting a limited connectivity error on Windows 8.1 Pro. I am not able to figure out the reason.

I had connected it to my wifi network where other devices are also working fine. After connection there is a tiny notification popup on the bottom right and it says Limited Connectivity. What does this means. I am having a similar ubuntu laptop that works really fine.

Re: Wifi always limited on Windows 8.1

There is a very simple solution behind the problem you are facing. You have to configure the router to enable dhcp. Just verify the settings and test back. The pc is not getting a IP address due to which you are getting that error. Once it will get the IP you can use the internet connection. The DHCP settings are available in the router only. From pc you cannot do anything.

Re: Wifi always limited on Windows 8.1

The problem can be resolved by adding the IP manually. You have to go in Network Connections for that. Right click on the Adapter and click on Properties. Then go in Tcp/IP.

Add add the IP, subnet, default gateway and dns servers. That's it. The internet will work. You can get all those information from any other pc which is in the same network. Just run ipconfig /all command in cmd.