Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Free 100 GB storage on Microsoft OneDrive

Free 100 GB storage on Microsoft OneDrive

I am using SkyDrive since long time. Couple of weeks ago when Microsoft changed thier SkyDrive's name to OneDrive, i received an email on my live account saying "get 100GB free Storage". I was out for these two weeks hence ignored, but now when i'm trying to claim that 100GB, there doesn't seems to be any option for the same?

As SkyDrive is my preferred cloud storage, i would surely like to have those 100Gb for my account. Can anyone please tell me what is the process for the same? Many Thanks in advance.

Re: Free 100 GB storage on Microsoft OneDrive

By ignoring that mail for two weeks, you actually lost your 100GB free storage. Because it was a promotional stuff for attracting more users to OneDrive and hence 100GB was only provided to first 1 lakh users only. Its been a long time Microsoft has stopped the scheme.

However I didn’t found it much useful because that free 100GB space was free only for the period of one year. Thereafter you will require buying it from Microsoft.

I guess Microsoft is still offering 20GB free space by Redeeming a Code for your account. See this, I just redeemed 20GB free storage for my account:

Earlier I was having just 10GB storage.

After redeeming the point, I got 20GB more and the total became to 30GB.

However, as mentioned by desidude above, it is only available for 1 year, you can see the date in the above screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by sameer View Post
    I guess Microsoft is still offering 20GB free space by Redeeming a Code for your account. See this, I just redeemed 20GB free storage for my account:
    How did you redeemed that code and 20GB storage? From where to get the code? Please help.

After reading this discussion I remembered that even I received few emails from OneDrive last month. I started checking all and there was a mail with subject “Did you missed 100GB free space”. I opened the same and there was a link for redeeming. I clicked the same which opened a new window with the code already entered for my account. I just clicked the submit button and got the space added to my account.

Check all your emails received from Microsoft for OneDrive after 18th Feb. There should be one mail for this too.

If all those free Storages are valid for one year, than I don’t think it is useful in any way. What will be the pricing after one year ?

After one year you will need to pay 50 USD annual for 100GB. There are also different storages with different amount of dollars. You can check this list for all of them:

If you guys really prefer using cloud storage and willing to buy, than I will suggest you to compare the market before buying, if you have not a particular preference, like Microsoft or Google.

I am telling this because Google has slashed the cloud storage pricing today by over 80%, which means the price has come extremely down making the cloud storage much much cheaper. Infact, much cheaper than OneDrive. Have a look at this:

In this image you can see where Microsoft is offering 100GB for $7.49 (Monthly), Google is offering 100GB for just $1.99. Huge difference, isn’t it?

15GB free storage for OneDrive from Microsoft for all

Here is a good news for all Microsoft service users, specially the ones who are using OneDrive cloud storage. Although there were so many options to upgrade your free storage, as mentioned above, but officialy there was only 7GB free storage available for each user on OneDrive.

But today Microsoft announced that each user will be now having 15GB of storage, officially. If you have some addon like all those mentioned above, than it will be added extra to 15GB.