Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to play YouTube videos in VLC Player

Unable to play YouTube videos in VLC Player

Hey friends, i need a small help from you all.

I watch many videos on youtube daily but my flash player is a huge pain for me. I need to re-install my Flash player every time i open youtube on my browsers. Now recently i came to know that we can also play youtube videos directly on VLC player.. which obviously doesn't requires flash player to be installed on the computer. One of my friend told me the steps to play the videos on VLC player but it doesn't works for me... I dont know why.

I am using Windows 7 and VLC 2.1. Can anyone please tell me what is wrong with my VLC or please let me know the correct steps required to play in VLC? Many thanks.

•   Alt Ads!

TechDiscussion

Re: Unable to play YouTube videos in VLC Player

Hello buddy, to me it sounds like you itself might have done some mistake because I am able to play Youtube videos on my VLC, without any problem. So just recheck the process and see if you are doing it correctly.

• First open VLC Player, click Media from the menu options and then click Open Network Stream.
    • You can also press Ctrl + N to open Network Stream.
    • Now past the proper YouTube video URL, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBo8RaX6zus in the provided field.
    • Now simply click on Play Button at the bottom of the Network Stream Window.

That’s it. It should play the video without any problem.

I appreciate your help NishitM, But I am doing exactly the same thing you mentioned above. I return VLC says,

“Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'http://www.youtube.com/v/wBo8RaX6zus'. Check the log for details.”

See this screenshot:

By the way what is your VLC version where you are comfortably able to play YouTube version?

Quote Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
    By the way what is your VLC version where you are comfortably able to play YouTube version?
    I am sure it wont be VLC 2.x because YouTube wont play at all in any of the newer version of VLC players. They only work in version 1x. This is because YouTube has made many changes in their codes which won’t allow playing the youtube videos in VLC anymore.

I have a fix for all these problems. You are correct BadBoy, by default youtube is not supported in the newer version of VLC player but you can do it with a small modification. Here is how:

• First of all you need to download this small file (youtube.lua)
    • You need to paste this file in the playlist folder of your VLC installation directory. The path may vary according to your OS. Usually you should find it at any of these:
    • C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\youtube.lua OR C:\Program Files\VLC\2.0.5\lua\playlist\youtube.lua
    • Now open VLC, click Media and then click Open Network Stream
    • Now copy any Youtube video url and paste over there.
    • Click Play.

The video should play fine now in your vlc player. Let me know if you still face the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Technical View Post
    I have a fix for all these problems. You are correct BadBoy, by default youtube is not supported in the newer version of VLC player but you can do it with a small modification. Here is how:

• You need to paste this file in the playlist folder of your VLC installation directory. The path may vary according to your OS. Usually you should find it at any of these:
    • C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\youtube.lua OR C:\Program Files\VLC\2.0.5\lua\playlist\youtube.lua
    • Click Play.

The video should play fine now in your vlc player. Let me know if you still face the problem.
    Does NOT work for this URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

That's on VLC 2.0.5.

^^Thank you for the help, this youtube file upload works perfectly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Technical View Post

• Click Play.

I don't know if you're still willing to answer questions on this but I keep getting the same error. A google search lead me to this post and I tried following your directions but I still get this error. Any thoughts?

Error Msg As Follows -
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'https://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=iX-QaNzd-0Y'. Check the log for details.

Hi BadBoy!... my question-- and comment-- to Google, is as follows!...

Why are you harming people who want to open Youtube videos in VLC?... as is evidenced in the URL, http://forums.techdiscussion.in/show...-in-VLC-Player, by the Techdiscussion Senior Member, Badboy!

Are you in collusion with Microsoft?... or other proprietary media player vendors?... and, because VLC users are not about receiving "sales pitches" while viewing/ listening to-- for example-- Youtube Music Videos!

If you're not about restricting VLC users, then why don't you offer up a PERMANENT SOLUTION to the constant message, "Your input can't be opened", that VLC users receive, when attempting to play a Youtube video (Music Video... or otherwise!)?

This nonsense, will... NO DOUBT!... force VLC users (AND USERS OF OTHER FREE AND OPEN SOURCE MEDIA PLAYERS!) to move to a WHOLLY FREE AND OPEN SOURCE SEARCH ENGINE, that WILL ALLOW users access to Music Video Artists who are PRO FREE AND OPEN SOURCE!... and, who will JOIN with users who ONLY WANT FREE AND OPEN SOURCE MEDIA PLAYERS, AND A FREE AND OPEN SOURCE SEARCH ENGINE!-- YEA, ENGINES! Change this!... or force their hand!... and mine!

Pass it on!

Please!... no emails!