Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Windows 8.1 Error 0x80780119, Cannot optimize system partition

Windows 8.1 Error 0x80780119, Cannot optimize system partition

I just recently updated my computer to windows 8.1 OS but because i am facing some problems in it, I decided to go back to Windows 7. I however want to have a backup of my Windows 8.1 OS for future use. But whenever i tried to take backup, it gives me an Error message stating:

"There is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location".

Further it says Error 0x80780119, Cannot optimize system partition….I didn’t quite understand what does this mean. I mean I have a 1TB Hard Disk and i can’t create a backup of my OS in it? Surprising.

It also gives messages like "The minimum requirements for volumes of less than 500 megabytes. The error message ends with: 0x80780119. I just want to know the basic solution for this?? Thanks in advance.

•   Alt Ads!

TechDiscussion

Re: Windows 8.1 Error 0x80780119, Cannot optimize system partition

I donít get it why are you downgrading to Windows 7 again?? Give Windows 8 a chance at least. It is much much faster, advanced, simpler and quicker to use. I dont know what is the solution to your problem but Windows 8 is much better than win7. Personally, I liked it.

Ok what you need to do is expand the size of 'System Reserved Partition'. After this create an image of both System Reserved and Windows partition. Then download Partition Wizard Home Edition - bootable CD version, use this to shrink the Windows partition up to 350 MB and make sure you donít leave any space at the end of the windows partition.

Now it will create an entry in the 'Operations Pending' box in the lower left. Extend the end of the 'System Reserved' partition without any gap between it and the Windows partition and the new size of the 'System Reserved' partition should not exceed 500MB.Now you should have to tasks listed in the pending operations box. Apply the changes. When completed reboot to Windows and run Backup and Restore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
    "There is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location".
    Check your Disk-Management and also check for any hidden files or folders.

I had faced a similar problem with my Win8 Hard Disk. I was not able to copy my data in it even when there was enough space. What i basically did was I formatted my HardDisk once (Not the C Drive) and then when i tried copying my data, it worked.

So if u do not have any important data in your HarDisk then try formatting it for once and see whether it is showing the same problem.