Thread: Windows 8.1 wont shut down

Windows 8.1 wont shut down

I'm in having a funny problem with my system since i upgraded to Windows 8.1. My computer just wants remain working every second (like me ), dont want to get turned off. Yes, there is no problem in its functionality, working great but when i try to turn it off, it keeps restarting every time. Finally i have to unplug the power source to get it finally shut down.

Any idea what is wrong? If i keep unplugging the power source, it is surely going to blow up my HDD soon. Please help.

Re: Windows 8.1 wont shut down

Not just you Nexus, there were several people went through this problem. It is actually because of a new feature called Hybrid Shutdown. When you shutdown you computer it just hibernates the kernel session and wont closes it completely. hence the problem arises. So, you can fix your problem by simple disabling the Hybrid Shutdown. Just follow the steps provided here in the following article for disabling the same:

How to disable Hybrid Shutdown Feature in Windows 8.1

Well i have never heard about Hybrid Shutdown. Thank you very much for the info nikhil.

By the way, What happens when you try shutdown the system using a command like this:
    shutdown -s -t (seconds in number)

Does it turns off properly or restarts again?

I have read on many forums that users having McAfee installed on Windows 8 computers have more frequently faced this problem. this problem is even well known my McAfee itself, there are several people who have posted the query on their officially forums as well. According to theme there is a file called "mfefirek.sys" who create this problem.

According to experts, this is a core firewall engine driver and comes pre-loaded with McAfee setup itself. Removing this file fixes shutdown problems completely. But the problem is there is no way you can separately remove just this file. You will have to uninstall the entire MacAfee from your system. Better remove it and download some another Antivirus suite.

Thanks for such a great help buddy. That really worked. Now the system turns off fine and even I can hibernate. However the problem is my laptop donít have any security program installed as of now. Also I donít think there are any except McAfee compatible with Windows 8.1. So what Antivirus should I install now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Nexus View Post
    Thanks for such a great help buddy. That really worked. Now the system turns off fine and even I can hibernate. However the problem is my laptop don’t have any security program installed as of now. Also I don’t think there are any except McAfee compatible with Windows 8.1. So what Antivirus should I install now?
    As of now there no Antivirus program which can be said fully compatible with Win 8.1 but the manufacturers are working on the same and most probably they will release fully functional suites for this operating system very soon. Till then I will suggest you to relay on the default Windows Defender.