Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Windows 8 Admin account not working, profile Corrupt

Windows 8 Admin account not working, profile Corrupt

Hello Friends,

I need a bit help from you all. I'm having a Windows 8 laptop, since pretty long time. It was working good. Today i dont know what went wrong, suddenly my laptop restarted itself and got freezed on the welcome screen. After 4 attempts finally it booted but freezed again. After about 30 minutes of digging, finally i saw a message in the logs saying my profile is corrupted. Damn, it has just one user and it is the Admin itself.

Any help regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: Windows 8 Admin account not working, profile Corrupt

This could be probably because of any system file corruption. Did you installed windows updates recently? Probably yesterday? If yes, i doubt that could be the cause of this problem. You must check for the same.

hey Paul, I have been through this problem earlier. The only thing i managed to do was creating a new Profile using the built-in Administrator of the system. you should try doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehimay View Post
    hey Paul, I have been through this problem earlier. The only thing i managed to do was creating a new Profile using the built-in Administrator of the system. you should try doing the same.
    Thank you very much for the help buddy, but how do we exactly do this?

In order to enable the built-in Administrator, you will need to run the Command Prompt as an Administrator from any possible user account where you can login. Right click CMD and select Run as Admin. Now type the command “net user administrator /active: yes” without quotes , press Enter. That’s it. Your default windows administrator is now active. Login with the same. Open command prompt again and type “sfc /scannow” without quotes to run the System File Checker. Wait for few minutes and let the system do its work. Once done, disable the built-in Admin again by entering “net user administrator /active: no” in command prompt.

Now restart the computer and see if your old profile is back.

I followed all those steps correctly which brought me old profile back but it was until I restarted my computer for the next time. Again it loaded me to the temp profile and says my profile registry is corrupt. It appears like there’s some serious issue. What should i do now? Thanks for your helps again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    I followed all those steps correctly which brought me old profile back but it was until I restarted my computer for the next time. Again it loaded me to the temp profile and says my profile registry is corrupt. It appears like there’s some serious issue. What should i do now? Thanks for your helps again.
    You should better try out creating a new profile and try to move as possible stuffs as you can from the old profile. For doing the same fist enable built-in Admin again. Create a new Administrator account for yourself. Now open Windows Explorer > click Organize > Folder and Search Option > go to View Tab > click Show hidden files, folders, and drives. Here uncheck the box for “Hide protected operating system files.”

Now open another Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\<old profile name> folder. From this folder you need to copy the following files Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.dat.log and Ntuser.ini and past them to C:\Users\<new profile name>. Now reboot the system and your profile will be back.

Hope it helps.