Thread: Installing Apps directly on SD Card of MS Surface Tablet

Installing Apps directly on SD Card of MS Surface Tablet

I want some help to directly install any new application on SD card on Microsoft Surface Tablet. I cannot find option at the time of running setup. My internal space is getting occupied through different apps setup. I have around 32GB of storage. Most of the space is occupied by videos. I do not want to remove it. I am not able to find any settings through which I can move the apps to external storage.

Somebody please help.

Re: Installing Apps directly on SD Card of MS Surface Tablet

You can do that through a tiny registry hack. It is right that many tablets come with limited storage. When it comes to Windows we don't have settings like Android. We have to modify the internal registry to get rid of the problem.

For that launch registry editor. You can type regedit in the run box to access the same. In that go in the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Appx. In this you have to find Package Root. You have to modify the install directory by modifying the PackageRoot value.

Once done just reboot and again run to run the setup. All things will go in the external storage.

I think once you add an SD card Windows might manage automatically where to install the applications. You can do one thing. The best option is to move all the videos to the SD card. And let Windows use the internal storage. I do not recommend you to use the registry editor program. This can cause software issue if you do wrong changes. It is essential that you must go ahead with options which are safe and secure.

Windows 8 itself offers you an option to change the default storage. You don't have to modify registry for that. Never touch it. You can find the settings inside Windows itself. For that go in Change PC Settings. In that select PC and Devices.

You have to choose Devices from the same and then go down. Below you can see a save location section. Tap on Default Save Location then tap on Setup button. From here choose the removable storage as default one.