Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Windows RT 8.1 Error "this file format is unsupported or the file is damaged"

Windows RT 8.1 Error "this file format is unsupported or the file is damaged"

When I am trying to run Windows 8.1 upgrade on my laptop I am getting an error. The error is this file format is unsupported or the file is damaged. I had downloaded the update properly and there was no error while doing that. I have Surface RT 64GB tablet that supports Windows RT 8.1. But the upgrade is failing here.

Recently I got some update which cause various issue in the device. Like I was unable to find any images. So I thought the new upgrade will make it more stable.

• TechDiscussion
      Sponsored
      advertisement

Re: Windows RT 8.1 Error "this file format is unsupported or the file is damaged"

Most of the time when the upgrade goes properly you get all the files in it. Like the default photos, videos and images. So you have to do just one thing. Download the updates properly. Try to run the upgrade without error. It is possible that your downloaded file is damaged. So do it again. Microsoft is offering an iso file to download the same. The iso file has complete Windows 8.1 OS in the same. Burn that on DVD and run it.

Re: Windows RT 8.1 Error "this file format is unsupported or the file is damaged"

I have a solution to get your old photos and videos phone. The issue lies with libraries which you have to restore. For that go on the desktop. You can see the desktop tile on screen. Click on that launch Explorer by pressing Start + E. On the top side you can see File menu. Click on that. In that you can find navigation pane on which you have to click on Show Libraries. In the same place you will find Restore Default Libraries. Click on that and check.

Download the upgrade back again. It will fix the issue. I am giving you the official link below. There are many other sites which are giving the same download. But get the one from official site. Make a bootable DVD out of that and run it. Run an upgrade setup. It will not touch your internal files.

After when everything goes fine you will get your data back. This is the easiest method to fix the problem.