Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Eligible devices with Android 4.4 Kitkat

Eligible devices with Android 4.4 Kitkat

Which eligible devices will get the new Android 4.4 Kitkat update? The information which I found on web only tells about Nexus devices. And that too new. What about the old devices. Still we have some high end phones in the market like Note 3, S4, HTC One, etc.

I am trying to find the list of devices that are capable of running this new Android edition. Till now Jellybean looks to be a bit successful on many low end phones also. For other brands like LAVA, Xolo, etc we do not have any OTA update kind of thing.

•   Alt Ads!

TechDiscussion

Re: Eligible devices with Android 4.4 Kitkat

OTA updates can be only provided on the branded devices. But yet there is no clear confirmation available about the same. Still the features are missing. It usually depends on the manufacturer who is porting the new OS in this device. Now we can remain worry free from Samsung, Sony, HTC, and other brands. But some are not worried about providing any new updates. Kitkat will get better influence over others version. A new update always comes with a new hype offering some cool feature which is a problem in the older series. Letís wait back to get the final list.

Nexus devices remain on the top of list for getting the new update. This includes Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 along with Nexus 10. Other model which lies in the same race is Galaxy Nexus.

Other devices that will get the new update are HTC One, HTC Butterfly, Samsung Galaxy S4, Note 2 and Galaxy S3. I am not really aware about any other model which can provide this new update instantly on the device. But we can really hope for the best here. Officially Google does not provide you any info that when the new OS is launched. Google is coming up with its new Nexus 5 devices that will have the OS pre-installed.

I am waiting for the custom rom. XDA itself has nothing much to tell about this. Kitkat is counted as a great update for this year. And I think after that any new update will be shifted to the next year. Kitkat is termed as a smoother OS now. It is better in terms of UI. It has been noticed that every new edition of Android OS is much more enhanced and better. But it also demands better hardware. Like the Jellybean OS which does not perform well on 512MB or lower RAM. Some manufacturer is still selling the phone loaded with this new OS.

Quote Originally Posted by jigarK View Post
    Nexus devices remain on the top of list for getting the new update. This includes Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 along with Nexus 10. Other model which lies in the same race is Galaxy Nexus.

Other devices that will get the new update are HTC One, HTC Butterfly, Samsung Galaxy S4, Note 2 and Galaxy S3. I am not really aware about any other model which can provide this new update instantly on the device. But we can really hope for the best here. Officially Google does not provide you any info that when the new OS is launched. Google is coming up with its new Nexus 5 devices that will have the OS pre-installed.
    Hi,

The market is handle in a way that only the latest model or high-end devices get the most recent version of any OS. In the case of Android it is even more traced because is an open source software.

Regards

I found the complete list of smartphones and Tablets which are already approved for the Android 4.4 Kitkat update. Here is the same:

Sony Mobiles:

• Sony Xperia Z1
    • Sony Xperia Z
    • Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    • Sony Xperia Tablet Z
    • Sony Xperia Tablet S

Samsung Mobiles:

• Samsung Galaxy S4
    • Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom
    • Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    • Samsung Galaxy Mega
    • Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Samsung Galaxy Note II
    • Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    • Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 & Tab 2

LG Mobiles:

• LG G2
    • LG Nexus 4
    • LG Optimus L7, L5, L3
    • LG Optimus G
    • LG Optimus G Pro
    • LG Optimus VU

HTC Mobiles:

• HTC One
    • HTC One X+
    • HTC One X
    • New Desire series phones launched in 2013
    • HTC Droid DNA
    • HTC J
    • HTC Butterfly

Well you should also add a new brand to this list, Xolo. Yes, as last week Xolo already rolled out official Kitkat update for Xolo Q1000 Opus, there are few more devices in Xolo Q series to receive this update very soon. Those are: Q700S, Q1010i, Q1010 and Q3000