Where Lava Iris 455 is the most recent smartphone launched by the brand, Lava Iris 501 is the best so far in their Iris series because of its large display and so good performance. Lets compared of these devices today and find out which if these devices is best and worth to buy.

Packaging and Build:

Design of Iris 501 is quite stylish with black and white plastic finishing. Even Iris 455 is made up of the same material. It would be very difficult to say that it is very comfortable in grip because of plastic body which can be slippery sometime. Apart from this both the phones have very good and attractive design.

With Iris 501 we get 5-inch touchscreen with 3 capacitive buttons including Settings, Home and Back key. Above the screen they have placed ear-piece speaker and 0.3 Megapixel cameras for making video calls. On the right side of the phone they have placed Power key which can be also used for Lock On/Off. Volume Up and down key is provided on the left side. On the top of the phone Iris 501 contains a 3.5 MM Headphone jack next to Micro USB port which is also a charging port. There is nothing on the bottom side of the phone. On the rear side we find a 5.0 Megapixel camera with Auto Focus, Mic, Loudspeaker and Lava’s logo. Personally the design would have been much better if the front finishing was made in white color, similar like the rear panel.

While Iris 455 has 5-inch touchscreen with the same 3 capacitive buttons including Settings Home and Back key. Above the screen they have placed ear-piece speaker and 0.3 Megapixel camera. Unlike 501 we don’t have any button on right, they have placed all buttons on the left side of the body including Volume up and down and Power/screen lock key. On the top we have same 3.5 MM Headphone jack next to Micro USB port. There is nothing at the bottom like 501, while on the back we get same 5.0 Megapixel camera with Auto Focus, Loudspeaker and Lava’s logo. Over all I found Iris 455 more comfortable compared to Iris 501 in hold and looks.

Display properties:

With Iris 501 we have large 5-inch displays with Multi-touch TFT LCD Capacitive display. It is really a fun to watch HD videos on this screen in 16:9 Aspect Ratios. Screen provides resolution of 480 x 800 pixels. Obviously gaming also was a fun on this large display. About touch sensitivity I cannot say it is very good but it is average. Touch works fine most of the times but sometimes I need to tap 2 to 3 times to launch any application. Iris 455 is very similar with 501 in terms of touch sensitivity but it offers Resolution of 960 x 540 pixels compared to 501’s 480 x 800 pixels. We get better output on this device.

Software and Configuration:

Lava Iris 501 is running with Android ICS 4.0.4 operating system while we get Iris 455 with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean out of the box. Processor is kept same in both the device, it is Dual Core Processor clocked at 1GHz. Even RAM is provided same in both devices which is 512MB. Even the provided inbuilt apps and games are same in both the devices. However Iris 501 comes with a High End game like Asphalt 6 which is not provided in Iris 455. Does that means Iris 455 is not capable of running such games? Lets check out.

Entertainment and Gaming:

You can see here when I start Asphalt 6, it is telling me that game is not compatible with my device. SO it means we cannot play high ends like Asphalt, Gansgter RIO or any such games. However there are few games like Real Racing 3 which works very fine on this phone. Compared to this IRIS 501 is quite good in gaming. You can see here Asphalt running comfortably on this phone.

As far as playing Videos and music is concerned, both device gives better output. Iris 501 with 5 inch display and powerful 1GHz Dual Core CPU is a very good Smartphone for Multimedia purpose. Same stands for Iris 455 but just the problem is a bit smaller video screen. We have tested few 1080p Full HD videos and didn’t face any lag or freeze during the playback. The speaker provided on the back gives enough sound while watching movies or listening to songs.

Camera:

As per camera, both Iris 501 and Iris 455 are very similar. Both come with 5.0 megapixel rear camera with Auto Flash. Camera quality is not very good but a decent image quality. In the same environment you can see camea quality of both devices. We clicked few images of the same object in the same lights environment and after comparing both images we found that the quality is very similar. However if we compare these both camera, I must say we get with Iris (5MP) is far better than that of Canvas 2 (8MP). These both phones also allows you to share images directly from camera to different social media networking websites. With just one click you can share the clicked images on facebook, twitter, WhatsApp, Gmail, Google Plus, Bluetooth, etc.

Connectivity and Storage:

As far as connectivity is concerned, both Iris 501 and 455 comes with same connectivity options which are 3G (HSDPA 7.2Mbps; HSUPA 5.76Mbps),WiFi 802.11 b/g/n,Bluetooth, GPS. There is also a Micro USB Port which can be used to transfer files from your computers or laptops. As per storage, Iris 501 built-in 2GB Storage, whereas though Iris 455 comes with 4GB storage but only 2GB is available for user. So both are same in built-in stoprage as well as both supports 32GB expandable slot. However you get 4GB SD Card free with 501 but which is not the case with 455. You will need to but it separately.

Conclusion:

Overall most of the features and specifications are very similar in both Iris 501 and Iris 455 but there are few major differences where Iris 501 appears to be far better such as its bigger display size. Iris 455 is not capable of playing high end games but Iris 501 can play the same comfortably. Also 501 beats 455 in terms of battery as it comes with 2300 mAh battery with up to 7.8 hours talk time and up to 620 hours standby whereas 455 comes with 1500 mAh battery with up to 6 hours talk time (3G). As per the price, though 501 was costlier when it launched but today both the devices are available at exactly the same price, i.e. Rs, 7,799. SO obviously it will be smarter choice to go with Iris 501 instead of 455 unless and until you face problem carrying a Phablet in your Jeans pocket.