Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Now download Blackberry Messenger (BBM) for iOS and Android devices

Now download Blackberry Messenger (BBM) for iOS and Android devices

It is a great news for BBM fans, isn't it? Now non Blackberry users can also have access to one of the best messenger client, blackberry's own BBM. In a press release yesterday Thorsten Heins (BlackBerry CEO) has revealed that they will launch the stand alone Blackberry Messenger for other platforms which include Apple's iOS devices and Google's Android based devices. This app will be available for download in next coming few months for FREE on App Store and Google Play. However they haven't announced the exact date for the release as it is yet to be approved by Apple and Google.

For those who dont know much about BBM, let me provide some info. It is the most used and popular application from Blackberry. There are almost 60 million monthly active BBM customers who use this app more than 90 minutes daily. According to the reports this messenger client delivers more than 10 billion messages each day. You can think what does that means.

I am eagerly waiting for the release of this Stand Alone BBM. It is going to be huge competition between WhatsApp and BBM. Isn't it?

Re: Now download Blackberry Messenger (BBM) for iOS and Android devices

Thats really a good news Even i love BBM messenger, have used it for a bout a year when i was using BB Torch. Later i switched to Android and continuing with WhatsApp. By the way, as far as i know about BBM, there should be some system requirements as well for making it work on Apple and Android devices, right? Or it will work on all IOS or Android devices?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    there should be some system requirements as well for making it work on Apple and Android devices, right? Or it will work on all IOS or Android devices?
    Yes, there is system requirements for stand alone BBM. For Apple devices, it requires iOS 6 and above, for Android devices it requires Android 4.0 ICS or above.

According to this i dont think there will be problem for Android users as most of the devices comes with ICS and above. But iOS users may face problem as there are still many devices which haven't or cannot be upgraded to ioS v6

I think this is going to be bad news for Blackberry users as well who recently bought new Z10. I am telling this because 4 to 5 friends of mine has bought the new Blackberry Z10 and according to them what made them to buy this phone was the new BBM app with Video calling, Screen Sharing and many more features.

So if people spend Rs. 45K for a phone to get BBM and if the company launches the same for other devices free of cost, that is really going to irritate the Z10 users. Isn't it. By the way i will really enjoy teasing my friend. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Fulton View Post
    I think this is going to be bad news for Blackberry users as well who recently bought new Z10. I am telling this because 4 to 5 friends of mine has bought the new Blackberry Z10 and according to them what made them to buy this phone was the new BBM app with Video calling, Screen Sharing and many more features.

So if people spend Rs. 45K for a phone to get BBM and if the company launches the same for other devices free of cost, that is really going to irritate the Z10 users. Isn't it. By the way i will really enjoy teasing my friend. ;D
    Nope, your friends will not be disappointed, neither blackberry can do just injustice with their customers. Actually the stand alone BBM app which is about to launch in a month or two will not feature all those new features which we saw in Blackberry Z10. All Android and iOS BBM users will be able to access only the messaging and group features. They cannot do screen sharing or Video chat with that application. However they are planning to provide all those features including BBM voice, BBM channels, screen sharing and video capabilities later this year on iOS and Android. :P

Here is a Good news. BBM for Android is now also available for users still running Android 2.3 Gingerbread devices. Yes. BBM finally released the Gingerbread edition on Google Play because still there are over 20% of Android users running on older Android smartphones.

However, obviously there will be some limitations for Gigerbread users such as they wont be able to make Voice calls from BBM like other ICS and above users do. Also BBM Channels and Live location tracking will not work on these devices.