Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: Nokia software updater for Windows 8

Nokia software updater for Windows 8

Hey guys,

I have recently upgraded my OS to Windows 8. Though it is the smartest operating systems with rich UI and applications, i'm facing huge problems with older softwares which i need badly. Forget about rest, the main problem as of now is my Nokia Lumia device. I need to update its software/firmware but the problem is the official Nokia Software update is not compatible with this operating system. Also there is no version released by Nokia yet for Windows 8. What can i do now?

I know it can be updated over the air (OTA) as well but as i dont have 3G connection, nor i have WiFi at my place, hence i dont think updating firmware on 2G connection will smart decision. So can anyone please suggest me some workaround on how can i upgrade my Lumia on Windows 8?

Thank you very much for your helps.

•   Alt Ads!

TechDiscussion

Re: Nokia software updater for Windows 8

I dont know abut Software Update but i've used Nokia PC Suite on Windows 8. It works good. There is no compatibility problems. Also if i'm not making any mistake, even there is an option on the PC Suite for updating software, right? Why dont you try the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Haani View Post
    I dont know abut Software Update but i've used Nokia PC Suite on Windows 8. It works good. There is no compatibility problems. Also if i'm not making any mistake, even there is an option on the PC Suite for updating software, right? Why dont you try the same?
    Yes, there is an option for Software Update on PC Suite but FYI Haani, when you click on that option, it will take you to the download page of Nokia Software Updater which Ellen has already tried any is not compatible with Win 8. So, its not PC Suite is not going to work in this.

What you can do Ellen is, simply download Nokia Ovi Suite. I'm not 100% sure but i have feeling that it will be compatible with Windows 8 and there is an option too to update any nokia phone's firmware directly from there itself. You will not require separate software updater. If you want you can download Nokia Ovi Suite from here.

Ofcourse updating smartphone's firmware on 2G is not a smartness but what you should do is always install Windows 8 in Dual Boot mode on your computer. As the operating system is new, there are several applications which are yet not supported in Win8. hence always, keep Windows 7 or XP on one of your hard drive partitions with Windows 8 on another, so that you can use those systems for such softwares which wont work on Windows 8. Hope, you got it.

Hey Ellen, where do you stay? I mean, in today's world where technology is expand at such a height, every one house from two has WiFi zone. I'm sure many of your firends might be surely having WiFi at their home. Why dont you just go there and use their connection for few minutes. I dont think nokia will take more than 20 minutes for updating over OTA. It is that simple.

Thank you very much for your helps and suggestions guys. I'll take them all in consideration. Thats all i wanted to know. I'll reply back with the results.

I appreciate your helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sameer View Post
    What you can do Ellen is, simply download Nokia Ovi Suite. I'm not 100% sure but i have feeling that it will be compatible with Windows 8 and there is an option too to update any nokia phone's firmware directly from there itself.
    You should be 100% sure sameer, because Nokia Suite is completely supported on Windows 8. The latest version of suite is released keeping Win8 in mine. I'm using the same and it is working great. And yes, you can update your phone's software right from this suite itself.

Banned User

It is actually more comfortable upgrading it with suite.

Quote Originally Posted by Haani View Post
    I have tried it but it says This App can't run on this PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.

what is OTA? and what's the exact procedure?