Welcome to TechDiscussion Forums

Your one stop community for Technical Assistance

•  » Need latest Tech Updates?
  •  » Looking for Windows Troubleshooting?
  •  » Want some optimization Tips for Smartphone?
  •  » Or any other Technology discussion?

...You have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

p.s.: For registered members TechDiscussion.in is free of ads

Thread: BlackBerry Messenger 7 (BBM Voice) new features

BlackBerry Messenger 7 (BBM Voice) new features

Today I heard that Blackberry has launched upgraded version of BBM, i.e. Blackberry Messenger 7. Is that true? I would really like to have it because I don’t use whatsapp on my BB mobile. Also almost all my contacts are on BBM. SO before updating to the same, I would like to know few things which are as follows:

• What are the new features in Blackberry messenger 7?
    • Will it cost something extra from my service provider?
    • From where can I download the same?

Thank you for all your helps.

Re: BlackBerry Messenger 7 (BBM Voice) new features

Yes, Blackberry has released the new upgraded version of popular BB messenger but it is still in the beta stage, known as Blackberry Voice v7 Beta. There is many new features embedded with this new application. The first and major upgrade done is VOICE CHAT, as its name suggests. You can now even call any BBM Voice user around the world on Wi-Fi and 3G connection and this call will be completely free. You can even text chat at the same time when you are connected on Voice call using BBM Voice.

There are lots more features embedded with this new release. As i said the app is still under Beta development you can download the same from BlackBerry's Beta Zone here.

BBM Voice is the upgraded version of Blackberry social network app called Blackberry messenger. In order to use this application, you need to have device running with with BlackBerry OS version 6 or higher.

As the application is still in beta version, it is not made available for download on Blackberry AppWorld. But you can download it from Blackberry Betazone. You will need to fist register on beta zone with your BB pin and other credentials.

Talking about new features, we can understand better according to its name, "Voice". yes, people can now make voice calls without leaving text chat as well.

Check out the complete list of features made available with BBM Voice:
    • Customers can initiate a BBM Voice call directly, or instantly switch from a BBM text chat to talk, and back again.
    • The split-screen feature allows customers to talk and text at the same time, so for example, they can send a picture to their contact while talking with them. They can also check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call.
    • BBM provides a visual indicator that shows when contacts are available for a voice call.
    • BBM Voice is compatible with any accessories a customer has now for making voice calls on their BlackBerry smartphone, such as a Bluetooth® or wired headset. Customers can also use BBM Voice over their BlackBerry smartphone’s speakerphone.
    • If it’s not an ideal time to talk, customers can simply choose to respond by texting back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayam View Post
    BBM Voice is the upgraded version of Blackberry social network app called Blackberry messenger. In order to use this application, you need to have device running with with BlackBerry OS version 6 or higher.
    That was really a great info Shayam, thanks a lot for the same. But as you stated above, it needs BB OS 6 and above, what if we are using older phones that are still running with OS 5? Do we need to remain stuck with the same BBM 6?

So far BBM Voice is only compatible with BB OS 6 or higher running devices but Blackberry has said they will make this Voice Chat feature also available for BB OS 5 smartphones but it will take some time. As now BBM Voice itself is in beta stage, first let it release in Final version, thereafter we can think getting the same on OS 5 device.